A waste audit is the study of waste produced at a designated entity.
Audits reveal what you are throwing out as waste, what you are diverting (by reusing or recycling) and the amount of each type of material.
All businesses and residential buildings will benefit immensely from our waste audits because they become more conscious of the amount of waste they generate and in turn save money on garbage pick up costs and protect the environment at the same time. GF Environmental strongly believes all organizations should apply the 3Rs to their day to day activities.
Choose from G F Environmental levels of waste audits below depending on your sustainability goals.
OUR WASTE AUDIT LEVELS:
G F Environmental offers 3 types of waste audit depending on what your organization intends to achieve:
1. BASIC WASTE AUDIT
Weighing of waste and recyclables, handling and visual assessment.
G F Environmental will examine your waste stream by utilizing the following steps:
- Visually identifying your waste streams (waste and recycling composition)
- Weighing and recording of garbage and recycling bags
- Data and diversion rate
- Report – the report will include data of waste your facility generated and your existing programs. The report will also reveal problem areas and recommendations.
2. COMPREHENSIVE WASTE AUDIT
Sorting and weighing of recyclables and waste by material category.
G F Environmental will audit your waste and recycling streams. This level of audit involves:
- Weighing labelled bags, recording weights and taking notes.
- Opening labelled bags and weighing every category of waste by type.
- Waste audit data included in report
- Comprehensive waste audit report detailing the findings and recommendations.
– Our comprehensive waste audits meet Ontario’s waste audit (102/94) and source separation (103/94) regulations.
– We will also develop a Waste Reduction Work Plan (WRWP) for your building based on the outcome of your waste audit. This Work Plan will help your building achieve reduction in the overall garbage you generate. Please note that WRWPs are necessary for buildings required to comply with Ontario regulations 102/94.
– Our comprehensive waste audits also meet LEED waste audit requirements. We can help you implement practices that are sustainable and help you work towards LEED.
3. GENERAL WASTE SURVEY
General review of waste and recycling composition of a facility
G F Environmental will review your waste and recycling streams by walking through your facility and having discussions with your staff. During this process, we will look at the positioning of your bins and your loading dock as well as the overall recycling and waste management practices of your site. Feedback will also be provided to management.
Did you know?
Waste Audits and Waste Reduction Work plans are mandatory in Ontario for the Industrial, Commercial and Institutional sectors that fall in the categories listed below. The facilities listed below must conduct waste audits and update work plans.
They must also have source separation programs in order to gain and remain in compliance with Ontario regulations 102/94 and 103/94 respectively.
To achieve this, our thorough and practical waste audit approach helps organizations eventually achieve zero waste to landfill whilst also saving our customers money.
Designated facilities that do not comply are subject to fines.
If your facility falls within the categories listed below, please contact us so that we can help you conform to these regulations.
|Restaurants||3,000,000 or more in gross annual sales|
|Retail shopping complexes||Floor area 10,000 sq. m (107,639sq. ft)|
|Retail shopping establishments||Floor area 10,000 sq. m (107,639sq. ft)|
|Office buildings||Floor area 10,000 sq. m (107,639sq. ft)|
|Educational Institutions||350 students or more|
|Hospitals||Class A, B or F|
|Hotels and Motels||At least 75 units|
|Large Manufacturing Institutions||16,000 hours worked or more per month|
|Large construction projects||Floor area 2,000 sq. m|
|Large demolition projects||Floor area 2,000 sq. m|
G F Environmental Waste Audit process involves:
- Identifying the manner by which waste is managed.
- Measuring the quantity of waste.
- Identifying the composition of waste.
- Revealing problem areas and finding solutions to those areas.
Waste Audit benefits include the following:
- You save garbage pickup costs.
- G F Environmental will identify problem areas.
- You divert recyclables from waste.
- You gain an understanding of the waste and recycling produced.
- G F Environmental will help you discover the amount of recyclables you throw out as ‘waste’.
- You achieve recognition for your waste management efforts.
- You gain compliance with regulations.
- You improve your organization’s diversion rates.
All organizations would benefit immensely from our waste audits.
If you are also looking for office recycling solutions, or office recycling tips, or even office recycling containers and waste sorting bins, contact us today and lets offer you waste management solutions tailored to your needs!